Thursday, February 24, 2011

Good Enough

What is good enough? I'm sitting in the Dallas airport on my way back to Champaign thinking. Scary. I know. I'm thinking about my expectations and whether I have set them high enough for myself and for that matter LeaderShape. Jim Collins wrote in his book, "Good to Great" that the enemy of great is being good. We have very few great things in the world precisely because we have so many good things in the world. It is good enough. I'm wondering if there are times when good enough is OK. Hang with me...

So, I'm in the airport because I was just visiting the site for our California national session and it was not perfect. Shocker. I know. It was good. In fact, it was very good. The only trouble I'm having is that it is not as good as "when I went through LeaderShape." I'm wondering how many times do I miss opportunities because they are good because I'm holding out for great. I'm all for striving and having high expectations of everything in my life, but what if it is costing me all that is good right in front of my face.

Hmmm...I still think Collins was right, but I'm going to make sure that my line of sight continues to have my vision as well as what is good, worthy, and noble in my own front yard. Might make the journey to great even that much more enjoyable.

No comments: