Thursday, February 17, 2011

Caring, Courtesy, Community

An interesting thing has happened to me in the past couple of months. Twice now I have left a business and found that someone had parked so close to my car that I couldn't open the driver's side door. I had to get into my vehicle through the passenger side, crawling over the gear shift to get to the driver's seat. During the week of the most recent "people are parking too close to my car" incident, one of my colleagues had the same thing happen to her.

As you can imagine, many a thought ran through my head (some not so kind). In the end, what I found myself stuck on was what this act, although small, said about caring, courtesy, and community. What do my actions say about my beliefs in regards to caring, courtesy, and community. For that matter, what do your actions say about these things? Are we adding to the community or are we taking from it? Are we all behaving in a way that treats our fellow community members with care and courtesy? If not, let's start.

We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow humans. ~Herman Melville

No comments: