Thursday, September 29, 2011

What does The LeaderShape Institute mean to you?

For many of you who read this blog, you have shared in the experience of The LeaderShape Institute. You have built a balloon castle and made vision potion! Oh the fun memories! It’s Homecoming at my alma mater this weekend and it has sparked some reflection in me about my college experience. One of my favorite experiences in college was attending The LeaderShape Institute. As the memories of my session came rushing back, I found myself reflecting on what my experience (many) years ago means to me now.

First I have to be honest, at the time I attended LeaderShape, I was clueless of what I was getting into! I thought it would be a great opportunity to take a week off work in the summer and meet some new people. I loved my week at LeaderShape but really most of my learning has come in the months and years after. For me, that week at LeaderShape planted many, many seeds.

So, what does my LeaderShape experience mean to me now 13 years later? It means….

That I am a work in progress. I don’t have “it all figured out” and I am so glad! The journey of becoming the person I am today has been filled with ups and downs, but I would not trade it for anything. I am excited for what lies ahead as I continue to grow as a person.

Standing up for my values even when my voice is not so loud! My voice is important just as the voices of my friends, family and co-workers are. It is when we can work together as our authentic selves that amazing things happen.

Taking risks and stretching myself out of my comfort zone. It can be very east to get into a routine. But LeaderShape taught me to ask questions and try new things!

Valuing the stories of others and appreciating the things that make them who they are. We all have a story to share and being able to connect with one another on an very personal level creates relationships that span the test of time and distance.

Admitting when I make mistakes….How Fascinating! With that, it is also important to forgive myself when I make those mistakes. Often times, I am own worst enemy.

Forgiving others and trying every day to see the best in them.

No matter what your involvement with LeaderShape has been, I imagine that this program has a special meaning to you too. Would you mind sharing it with our community? Come on, just post a few sentences in the blog response space below J You are amongst friends here!

No comments: