Thursday, April 16, 2009

Sometimes We Forget

I recently got this quote from a daily e-mail I receive from the Foundation for a Better Life .

“You are not here merely to make a living. You are here in order to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world, and you impoverish yourself if you forget the errand.” –Woodrow Wilson

Sometimes in the routine of everyday life, I forget why I am really here. And I don’t mean, here as in sitting at my desk typing this post, but why was I put in this place to do this work. I was talking to a friend about this topic recently and they said they felt the same way. Now their “day job” is much different than mine, but it made me think that this is something that lots of people struggle with.

I believe no matter where you are working, this quote rings true. We are all here to enrich the world. So if this is something that others are contemplating, I figure there have to be ways to remember and not get caught up in the tasks list, phone calls, and emails that consume our daily lives. How do you do it? How do you remember why you are doing the work you do?

Kristen Y

No comments: