Monday, January 25, 2010

The Humanitar-ish Award

I have to admit. I'm a fan of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.

While I do enjoying watching these shows, I don't support these shows as a main source of news for some individuals (my lack of support extends to all tabloid journalism, not just these shows, posing as legitimate news).

That being said, comedy can often provide a reality check. Last week, there was an episode on The Colbert Report that seemed timely:

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Own a Piece of Histor-Me - Original Interview Table
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorEconomy


Stephen Colbert proposes a Humanitar-ish Award for "outstanding achievement in the field of considering whether to give to charity as long as there's something in it for me."

Colbert does a great job and poking fun at individuals and organizations that seemingly give for altruistic purposes, but come across as though they have alternative selfish motives.

There is no substitute for the real thing.

If you choose to give, give because you really care - not because you want to look good.

No comments: